Accelerator Operations Orientation
Accelerator (Machine) States
The safety interlocks of the Personnel Safety System (PSS) determine the access status of the tunnel and the halls and permits or inhibit operation of the electron gun, high power magnets, and RF acceleration systems.
- RESTRICTED ACCESS: The lowest accelerator state. The magnetic dipole for the hall must be OFF. Access to the hall is "restricted" administratively to those with current ODH, radiation worker training, as well as general and hall specific EH&S safety training.
- SWEEP MODE: Sweep Mode is used prior to beam operations to allow a limited set of personnel into the hall for the purpose of visually verifying that nobody is in the hall.
- CONTROLLED ACCESS: In this mode the hall dipole must be OFF, and entrance to the hall is monitored by the Safety System Operator (SSO).
- POWER PERMIT: Access to the hall is not permitted. The hall dipole can be energized and the hall beam stoppers are removed.
- BEAM PERMIT: The hall is ready for beam.