- Ensure ES&H practices are integrated throughout all levels of the organization.
- Ensure that sufficient resources are devoted to the development, operation, and maintenance of ES&H programs.
- Review and, if acceptable, approve laboratory ES&H programs.
- Review and, if acceptable, approve variance requests for ES&H program content.
- Establish necessary ES&H Committees.
- Appoint a Facility Manager to perform requirements as specified within the Jefferson Science Associates, LLC (JSA) Contract with DOE.
Chief Operating Officer (COO)
- Ensure responsible ES&H practices are integrated throughout all aspects of the operation.
- Review variance requests for ES&H program content and concur if acceptable.
- Ensure ES&H programs are established and maintained.
- Coordinate the development and implementation of ES&H training programs.
- Ensure accessibility to ES&H training records.
Facility Manager (Traditionally this position is held by the Associate Director - ESH&Q)
Associate Directors (AD) or Division Managers (DM)
Establish and implement practicable, measurable ES&H objectives for your division, consistent with ES&H policy as defined in ES&H Manual Chapter 1100 Environmental, Safety, and Health Policy.
Verify the effectiveness of, and compliance with, ES&H programs and practices through appropriate use of self-assessments, inspections, performance evaluations, and work observations.
Appoint Division Safety Officers, as appropriate, to assist in implementing ES&H programs.
Serve on the Director's Safety Council. Provide feedback, updates, and concerns regarding any program's relevance, to the Chairperson for discussion.
- Ensure ES&H programs and practices within your division are in compliance with the Jefferson Lab ES&H Manual or obtain an approved variance.
- Establish and implement achievable, measurable ES&H objectives for your division that are consistent with the ES&H policy defined in ES&H Manual Chapter 1100 Environmental, Safety, and Health Policy.
- Verify the effectiveness of, and compliance with, ES&H programs and practices through appropriate use of self-assessments, inspections, performance evaluations, and work observations.
- Appoint Division Safety Officers as appropriate, to assist with implementing ES&H programs.
- Serve on the Director's Safety Council. Provide feedback, updates, and concerns regarding any program's relevance to the Chairperson for discussion.
Associate Director - Physics shall also
- Ensure that appropriate ES&H review programs are developed and implemented for experiments and experimental equipment, under your authority, including assuring compliance with the ASE.
Associate Director - Accelerator shall also
- Ensure that appropriate ES&H programs are implemented for CEBAF and LERF accelerator operations and accelerator facilities and operations comply with the ASE in force for that accelerator.
- Ensure appropriate ES&H programs are implemented for accelerator research and development activities.
- Ensure the Jefferson Lab CEBAF content of the FSAD and each associated ASE is appropriately reviewed and maintained.
- Ensure the requirements of the Final Safety Assessment Document (FSAD), ASE, Accelerator Operations Directives (AOD), and LERF Operations Directives are properly implemented.
Facilities Management and Logistics (FM&L) Manager shall also
- Ensure ES&H requirements are factored into project planning, development, and construction including assuring compliance with ASE.
- Ensure the appropriate ES&H programs are implemented for maintenance and construction activities.
- Ensure maintenance and construction activities potentially impacting the FSAD and any associated ASE are reviewed and authorized prior to start of work to ensure proper configuration control.
- Maintain Division 1 Master Specifications Section 013529 Safety and Health Requirements.
Engineering Manager shall also
- Ensure that programs, practices and procedures are in place that maintains pressure system safety.
- Implement and maintain credited and defense-in-depth controls listed in the ASE.
Associate Director - Information Technology shall also
- Ensure a stable information, communication, and documentation structure to support program requirements detailed within the ES&H Manual.
Associate Director - Environment, Safety, Health, and Quality (ESH&Q) shall also
- Serve as the Senior ESH&Q Officer for the laboratory.
- Serve as the Facility Manager for the laboratory for Occurrence Reporting purposes.
- Serve as the Operations Manager during emergency situations.
- Determine code and permit compliance issues for all ES&H activities.
- Ensure the Jefferson Lab ES&H Manual, the FSAD, and the ASE are appropriately reviewed and maintained.
- Evaluate requests for variance from approved programs and ensure adequate protection is provided.
- Serve as chief liaison to the DOE Site Office and other federal, state, and local governmental agencies for all ES&H activities and coordinate responses to external ES&H assessments/issues.
- Responsible for developing and implementing systems that assure accurate and timely reporting on environmental permit requirements.
- Implement Price Anderson Amendment Act (PAAA) Non-compliance Tracking System (NTS), and other DOE reporting functions.
- Monitor and provide regular ES&H tracking and trending updates to senior management from data collected from safety management systems.
- Oversee the Accelerator Readiness Review Process.
- Verify the effectiveness of, and compliance with, ES&H programs and practices through the use of Independent and Management Self-Assessments.
- Review Operational Safety Procedures that are written for work activities that cannot be conducted in a manner consistent with ES&H manual requirements as written; or introduce a new/anticipated/previously unrecognized hazard issue. Determine the need for and facilitate any senior management review necessary to authorize activities.
ESH&Q Reporting Officer shall also
- Establish and maintain access to the Occupational Safety and Health Administration (OSHA) 300 log.
- Meet required timeline for information entry and update in relevant DOE reporting tools.
- Post in an accessible location completed investigation reports.
- Ensure 24-hour access to an emergency contact person.
Division Safety Officers
- Assist in implementing ES&H programs as assigned by the Associate Director or Division Manager.
- Ensure division activities are consistent with laboratory ES&H policy, programs, and procedures and resolve ES&H issues (e.g.: differences of opinion of risk code assignments).
- Coordinate with other DSOs to assure consistent application of ES&H programs and procedures.
- Appoint Lessons Learned Coordinators.
- Oversee the division's Safety Warden Program.
Division Safety Officer - Physics shall also
Supervisors/Subcontracting Officer's Technical Representative(SOTR)/Sponsor
Everyone at Jefferson Lab
- Comply with requirements set forth in the ES&H Manual, including participation in event investigations.
- Report any injuries and occupational illnesses to supervisor and Occupational Medicine at first opportunity.
- Report any incident, equipment failures, safety violation, near-miss experiences, or other hazardous conditions to supervisor at first opportunity.
- Notify your Supervisor/Subcontracting Officer's Technical Representative (SORT)/Sponsor if you feel unqualified, insufficiently trained, or physically unable to performed assigned work.
- Notify your supervisor about conditions that may develop into unsafe situations.
- Bring ES&H concerns immediately to the attention of the responsible Supervisor in accordance with the ES&H Manual Chapter 2310 ES&H Concern Resolution process.
- Decline to perform, or immediately suspend or stop work that poses an imminent danger to personnel, equipment, or the environment. (See ES&H Manual Chapter 3330 Stop Work and Re-Start for Safety Program.)
- Maintain required training and medical monitoring as defined in your SRL.
- Comply with safety postings and instructions.
- Be accountable to Jefferson Lab for willful disregard of ES&H procedures.