Hosting Foreign Nationals
Steps for Hosting Foreign National Visitors/Researchers
Please be sure to follow ALL the required steps for hosting ALL foreign national visitor/researchers (also includes interview participants) coming to JLab.
An Invitation letter is required at the port of entry for all non US citizens requesting a business visa (B-1, WB) to participate in research, workshop, conferences and meetings at JLab. These activities are prohibited with Tourist Visa (B-2, WT)
- Step 1: Host notifies dept/division admin support of the intent to invite a foreign national visitor/researcher to JLab and whether any type of JSA financial support or reimbursement is anticipated.
- Step 2: Registration information is sent by admin support to visitor/researcher for submission.
- Step 3: Dept/Division prepares official BUSINESS invitation letter (sample invitation letter, sample support letter) and sends to visitor/researcher reminding of BUSINESS visa requirement (Business visa information) - copy of letter sent to JRIS.
- Step 4: Host notifies visitor/researcher of any required security/safety trainings in their unique areas.
- Step 5: Visitor/researcher's completed and submitted registration is processed by JRIS for host approval, creates or updates JList database record, admin support/host notified by email of registration completion. Admin support may begin TA process for travel arrangements , if necessary.
- Step 6: Visitor/researcher arrives and checks in at the front desk in the SSC, bldg. 28.Visitor/researcher is then picked-up by or sent to dept/division admin support or User office and host for further instructions regarding their visit.
- Step 7: Host is responsible for visitor/researcher while at JLab.
- Step 8: Per U.S. Dept. of State Exchange Visitor Program regulations, all visiting foreign nationals on a J-1 visa _*not *_sponsored by JSA must present a letter from their sponsoring institution's International Services Office giving authorization for payments by JSA. If this letter is not presented, reimbursements, honorariums, etc. are not allowed.