Jefferson Lab > COO > JR/IS
Privacy and Security Notice

Researcher/Visitor ID Requirements

To ensure a timely and efficient transition into the Lab, submittal of the Electronic Access Request Registration Form is required at least 7 days before the onsite arrival start date. Access will not be granted until all required validations and approvals are complete.

U.S. Citizens must bring a valid Government issued ID card that contains a photo such as a passport or valid driver's license. Non-driver photo identification cards issued by the Department of Motor Vehicles can be used as proof of identification.

Lawful Permanent Resident of the United States must bring their Green Card or passport with valid I-551 stamp AND a valid government issued identification document which includes a photograph, such as, passport or valid driver's license to their initial check-in at JLab.

Foreign Nationals must present their original passport and applicable visa with all INS documentation supporting the visa status and/or renewals (e.g. Form I-20 for F-1 students or Form DS-2019 for J-1 visa holders) to the JLab Registration and International Services Office upon arrival at JLab. Immigration documentation must be presented and validated by the International Services Office at arrival check-in for each new visit to JLab by foreign nationals.


An Invitation letter is required at the port of entry for all non US citizens requesting a business visa (B-1, WB) to participate in research, workshop, conferences and meetings at JLab. These activities are prohibited with Tourist Visa (B-2, WT)


Visa Advisory: Review the following visa information to determine eligibility for reimbursement.

Visa Waiver Program and ESTA When a person visits JLab under the Visa Waiver Program, s/he is seeking admission to the U.S. as a Business Visitor, but without a visa stamp. It is not a separate "category" of admission - it is just a different procedure for entry as a Business Visitor.

Visa Waiver travelers no longer may simply get on a plane and arrive in the U.S. without any preparation. They must log into the "Electronic System for Travel Authorization" (ESTA) as far in advance of their travel as possible but it is recommended no less than 72 hours before departure. An ESTA authorization for travel to the U.S. will generally be valid for 2 years or until the applicant's passport expires, whichever comes first. During this time, a new ESTA authorization is required if the traveler (1) changes his or her name; (2) changes his or her gender; (3) changes country of citizenship; or (4) should change any other answer to ESTA questions.

If a person enters the U.S. under the Visa Waiver Program, they may enter for a maximum of only 90 days; they cannot extend the stay in the U.S. past 90 days; and cannot change to any other status, such as H-1B (for employment) or J-1 (for employment or as a Visiting Scientist).

B-1 Visas In order to come to JLab in a professional capacity, you MUST have a B-1 visa. Usually, a person will be allowed to remain in the U.S. either (1) for up to 6 months, or (2) (if coming for a conference/workshop/school) for the duration of the event. It might be possible to get a longer admission (to a maximum of 6 months) if both the home institution's letter and JLab's invitation letter clearly justify this.

Extensions of B-1 status during a visit to the U.S. are obtained by filing an application (the filing fee for which is $290). Alternatively, a person can leave the U.S. and then re-enter with the B-1 visa again (but only if the B visa has not expired)

Canadian Citizens Canadian business travelers may apply for admission at a U.S. port of entry without first obtaining a nonimmigrant visa. These documents below will be required at the port-of-entry:

Further Instructions: Instructions on identification requirements for additional visit/assignments to JLab will be provided upon check-in. A JLab photo ID card cannot be issued without the appropriate identification