Performance and Learning & Development
The Training and Performance Office helps the JLab community obtain skills, knowledge, and abilities that increase their effectiveness and professional development. through the Lab's Education and Training Program.
Learning Management Life Cycle
- Learning Management System (LMS)
- Skill Requirement List (SRL) is the central element in Learning Management. It is located in the JList database and maintains each person’s required training-related skills.
- Job Task Analysis (JTA) tool is the source for entering many skill requirements. It is used by supervisors to assign skills based on a variety of criteria. All supervisors must review and update their direct reports' SRLs using this tool at least annually and any time a job or supervisor changes. Employees may also review and change their own JTAs, though their supervisors must approve the changes in order for the SRL to be updated.
- Required skills may be acquired in several ways. For most skills with SAF, MED, or GEN codes, you can:
- complete a web-based course, or
- register for and complete an instructor-led course using the Learning Management System (LMS)
- Not all skills have courses associated with them. A limited number may be awardable by supervisors/managers in your reporting chain.
- If your supervisor determines you already demonstrate one of these skills, he or she should login to the LMS and click "Award Skills for Subordinates" on the left sidebar.
- Web-based Training - (Disable pop-up blocker and click on course you wish to take)
- Education Reimbursement Program (ERP) - provides monetary support for employees wishing to pursue a degree or professional certification that would make them more valuable to the Laboratory. Only accredited programs from recognized institutions may be taken under the ERP. Course work is accomplished during off-duty time, reimbursement is directly related to grades and budgetary constraints, and the level of financial support may vary from institution to institution or year to year.
- Job Related Training (JRT) - includes Laboratory-wide on-site training that is not restricted to employees from a single division or work unit, and fee-based training that is job-related or career-related (e.g. a seminar, conference or course)
- PAE Skillport Learning System: This Learning System: provides hundreds of professional quality web-based courses on a variety of subjects from Project Management to Computer Applications.
Watch the video for an overview of the PAE Skillport Learning System. If you are interested, email email@example.com to request an account.
- Mango - Mango Language Training provides free web-based foreign language instruction (both conversational and in-depth) for English-speakers, and English language training for those for whom English is a second language.
- DuPont - (SAF202, SAF302, SAF502, SAF603N1-2) Requires Dupont account; email firstname.lastname@example.org to get one.
Diversity and Inclusion Training
Jefferson Lab's Diversity and Inclusion Program is integrated with the laboratory's mission. We value the contributions of all people regardless of their differences. Our emphasis is on people and the environment in which they work.
- Manager-Supervisor Development Program recognizes the unique role that supervision and management skills play in employees' performance. Therefore, JSA provides a skill-based development program that is logically structured, but also flexibly delivered.
|Unit 1 - Nuts & Bolts of Supervision (MGT101): Covers 1) policies and procedures for which a supervisor is responsible, 2) resources available to supervisors to solve a variety of issues, and 3) tools for those transitioning from coworker to supervisor.
Prerequisite: Online reading (to be provided in advance) must be completed prior to attending class
|Unit 2 - Responsibility: This course will help supervisors 1) create effective work objectives and expectations and 2) learn when and how to best delegate tasks his or her staff.
Prerequisite: Navigating the Performance Appraisal Process (MGT500)
Management from a JSA Perspective (MGT102): This course provides information managers need to know about Jefferson Science Associates (JSA), LLC and its relationship with the Department of Energy, as well as the impacts supervisors have on employees.
|Unit 3 - Leadership: This course will help supervisors understand their behavioral types, based on the results of the Myers Briggs Personality Typing, and use this knowledge to better communicate with peers, subordinates, and supervisors. In addition, the course will cover the different types of leadership and how to adapt leadership styles to different situations.
Prerequisite: Complete the Myers-Briggs Type Indicator (available at the SSC/VARC front desk) Please turn into the Training Office a week before class
|Unit 4 - Constructive Communication: This course will help supervisors understand 1) the impact of the medium and delivery on communication, 2) the effects of culture, gender, and unconscious bias on communication, and 3) how to best use communication skills to deal with difficult behavior.|
Services & Guides
- Online Forms
- List of Training Skills
- Performance Consultation
- Job-Related ES&H Training - Tracking Tool for Supervisors, Sponsors, Mentors
- JRT: Application and Payment Procedures
- ERP: Application and Payment Procedures
- Current SRL status by organization or supervisor
- Lesson Plan Template
Questions and comments: email@example.com