Get in on Home Energy Savings With 'Next Step' Program
The U.S. Department of Energy is funding a program designed to reduce home energy use and related costs. The program, called "Next Step," is being made available to home owners in specific jurisdictions in the Hampton Roads region and provides discounts for applicable energy-efficiency improvements. (See link below for locales included in this program).
With energy costs going up and expected to continue increasing in the future, this program can significantly benefit many homeowners, notes Bill Mooney, JLab's Sustainability manager.
The Next Step program provides homeowners with a free survey to determine the energy efficiency of their home and, as applicable, helps the homeowner achieve energy savings by reducing air leakage, sealing ventilation systems (ductwork), and improving insulation values. Thermal energy losses are often difficult for a homeowner to detect, but can significantly reduce energy efficiency.
How the program works:
- The homeowner contacts Next Step Program Coordinator Leslie Holthoff (contact info below).
- The Next Step coordinator answers your questions and provides a list of participating Next Step contractors trained for this program.
- The contractor conducts an initial (no charge) home survey to determine opportunities for reducing energy use and related costs.
- The Next Step contractor estimates potential energy savings, provides you with a scope of work, cost estimate, and schedule.
- Homeowners qualify for program benefits if the survey determines that their home energy bill can be reduced a minimum of 15 percent.
- The Next Step contractor provides materials and performs proposed work to achieve energy savings.
- Next Step discounts are directly applied to the contractor's invoice for services and upgrades. No waiting for rebates or reimbursements. (See the program brochure for details.)
On Earth Day, Friday, April 22, Mooney and Holthoff will staff a Next Step display table, from 11 a.m. to 1 p.m. in the CEBAF Center atrium, to discuss this energy savings program and the potential benefits to homeowners in the JLab community.
Contact Information: Leslie Holthoff, Next Step Program Coordinator
Office: 757-251-9523 / Ext. 4
Counties included in the Next Step program: http://www.hrpdc.org/Jurisdictions.asp
content by firstname.lastname@example.org
maintained by email@example.com