Guidance for Staff & Users Taking Hall D Tour on Jan. 11
Jefferson Lab staff and users are invited to take a self-paced tour of the new Hall D Counting House and Experimental Hall on Wed., Jan. 11, any time between 10 a.m. and 2 p.m. This complex is an important part of the lab's 12 GeV Upgrade project.
ACCESS & PARKING DIRECTIONS
- Use your JLab ID badge to access the Accelerator Site either on foot or by vehicle.
- Lab staff members that don't have access to the Accelerator Site must be escorted and transported by Public Affairs.
Follow the directions on the map, and those provided by special event signs, markers or volunteers.
- Park in areas highlighted on the map.
- Walk down Bethe Road.
- Enter at the Hall D Counting House front door.
- Depart by exiting the Hall D Truck Ramp. Follow the road on your left as you leave the truck ramp; walk by the Counting House entrance and back down Bethe Drive to return to your vehicle.
- Wear closed-toe shoes! Be prepared for some uneven ground and stairs.
- Cameras are welcome.
- Personal dosimeters are NOT needed.
- Restroom facilities are available in the Hall D Counting House.
- Don’t touch anything unless a tour scientist/engineer/technologist tells you it is OK.
- Don't take any items, materials or components from the area.
- Your personal cell phone may not be able to receive a signal while you are in Hall D.
- Volunteers will be available in case you have questions.
- Once inside, take a moment to orient yourself and determine the nearest emergency exits.
- You will tour the Hall D Counting House first. Then you will access Hall D by walking down a well-lit concrete stairway about three flights. Please take your time and use the handrail.
- The Hall D floor is smooth concrete, but there are areas where you may need to step up, down, or around components or special displays. Please watch your footing.
- If you are not familiar with the Accelerator Site, it is suggested that you don't go into any other buildings or facilities on the Accelerator Site without a knowledgeable escort. Should you enter another work area while you are on the Accelerator Site, please carefully read all entry-way postings to ensure that you have the training to enter that area and that you are aware of hazards associated with that area.
- If you should need assistance, please call the Accelerator Site entry point (Guard Post #2) at ext. 4444 or 269-4444. To report an emergency, please call 911 first and then call the Guard Post.
- After being in an industrial type of work area like Hall D, please wash your hands with soap and water before eating, drinking, taking medications or smoking. It is a good industrial hygiene safety step.
FINAL, IMPORTANT NOTE:
Normal training requirements for access to Hall D are being waived for staff and users attending this Hall D open house. If you should need to visit Hall D at any other time, you must complete all required Hall D-specific training, wear all required Personal Protective Equipment and get permission from Hall D Technical Coordinator, Tom Carstens.
Attendees will be able to see the assembled sections of the refurbished Hall D solenoid magnet. This schematic shows a cut-away of what the completed assembly will look like.