Important Reminders for All Open House Volunteers
* Volunteer sign up: Any lab employee who plans to work the Open House but has not officially identified themself as a volunteer, please contact Tina Menefee NLT 4 p.m. Wednesday, May 16. You will be given a parking pass and T-shirt. It is important we have a complete roster of lab employee volunteers. Contact Tina via email <email@example.com > or cell phone: 757.768.4030.
* Volunteer parking: Jefferson Lab's main entrance (Lawrence Drive) will be closed May 19. The only access to the lab will be via Hogan Drive and Jefferson Ave. Please arrive by 8:15 a.m.
All Day Parking
Volunteers who will be at the lab all day and not leaving during the day are asked to park in the "all day" parking lot. This is the new paved lot on Hadron Drive and BCS Road (east of the Test Lab, Bldg. 58 and north of RadCon). If you park there, you may not move your car until the event is over.
You can park in marked parking spots on the accelerator site before 8:30 a.m. However, you will not be able to move your car until the last shuttle bus departs the campus at 3:30 p.m.
If you are working a half-day shift or need access to your car, park in the ARC parking lots and use a half-day parking pass.
* Important reminders:
- Bring and wear your JLab ID badge
- Bring your parking pass
- Bring cash if you plan to buy food from food vendors
- Wear your blue Open House volunteer T-shirt
- Wear comfortable shoes, and bring sunscreen, hats, weather related gear (rain jackets, umbrellas) as appropriate
- Allow sufficient time to get to your work stations, especially afternoon volunteers. Moving around the site will be more challenging given the large number of guests.
* Emergency information:
- Please note the JLab emergency notification number: 757-269-5822
- You may also call 911 to get immediate assistance
- There will be 3 roving First Aid golf carts. Call 269-5822 or use your area cell phone/walkie-talkie to have a First Aid golf cart come to your location. An ambulance and trained medics will also be here all day.
- If you hear the JLab tornado warning siren, assist others to take immediate shelter indoors.
* Scientific talks @ the MCC: will take place every hour on the hour, starting at 10 a.m. Talks will include the lab mission, the FEL program, the physics of everyday life, and radiation safety.
10:00 a.m.: You Already Know this Physics! - Jack McKisson, Senior Engineer, Experimental Nuclear Physics
11:00 a.m.: What We Do at JLab: Three Dimensional Structure of Matter - Alexei Prokudin, Postdoc, Theory Center
12:00 p.m.: Lasers at Jefferson Lab - Michelle Shinn, Senior Scientist, Free-Electron Laser
1:00 p.m.: Lasers at Jefferson Lab - Michelle Shinn, Senior Scientist, Free-Electron Laser
2:00 p.m.: Radiation - Keith Welch, Deputy Manager, Radiation Control, ESH&Q
* Science Education: lab staff and local teachers will have educational activities for all school children in the CEBAF Center atrium. Cryo shows will be offered in the auditorium every hour on the hour, starting at 10 a.m. Shows take place at 10 a.m., 11 a.m., 12 p.m., 1 p.m. and 2 p.m.
* Event communication/phones:
Every tour stop, every bus stop and every welcome tent has a shared cell phone programmed to operate as an event walkie-talkie. When you arrive at your assigned area, talk with your Area Coordinator to learn how to use this device.
For more information about the Open House, please visit: https://www.jlab.org/openhouse
Please forward this information to non-JLab individuals who are taking part in this event.
Thank you very much for helping with the 2012 JLab Open House. This will be a great event and a valuable opportunity for sharing what we do at JLab. We look forward to seeing you there!