Members of Jefferson Lab's leadership and Emergency Management Team met today regarding the possible impact of Hurricane Sandy. The storm will impact the Hampton Roads Area on Sunday and Monday, with possibly heavy wind and rain and coastal/tidal and inland-waterway flooding.
Jefferson Lab's status is Hurricane Preparedness Condition 3 (HPC-3); all requirements for HPC-3 (up to, but not including closing) should be completed before 5 p.m. today (Friday, Oct. 26).
Lab management will hold a conference call at 11:30 a.m. Sunday to determine the lab's status for Monday, Oct. 29. The lab's status for Monday will be available by 1:00 p.m. Sunday. A separate email will go out later today to remind everyone of the Instructions for Determining JLab Status.
General Preparedness: Personal Computers, Electronics, Parking, Golf Carts
- Lab staff living in low-lying areas asked about parking personal vehicles at the lab during the storm. Individuals wishing to do this are asked to park their vehicles in the lots adjacent to the ARC. Use parking away from the tall trees. If you park a personal vehicle at the lab, let Mike Lewellen, firstname.lastname@example.org know and cc: Jennifer Barnett, email@example.com
BE ADVISED: Neither JSA/Jefferson Lab nor the City of Newport News is responsible for damage to any personal vehicles left at the lab during the storm.
- All golf carts that don't have indoor shelter must be taken to the Experimental Staging Building, #23, or the Physics Storage Building, #72, on the Accelerator Site no later than 4 p.m. today. If possible, put your golf cart charger unit and charger hut into the golf cart when taking it to shelter. Leave the key in the cart.
If you are unable to get your golf cart to one of these buildings, please contact Joe Thomas at 528-7158 as soon as possible.
- Before leaving today: Perform backups of your personal computer systems and other electronic systems as necessary,
- And, turn off all desktop computers and associated UPS (uninterruptible power supply) devices in your office or work area. (The IT Division plans to leave the core network and central systems online.)
- Turn off and unplug from the wall printers and copiers. But, leave kitchenette refrigerators plugged in and turned on.
content by firstname.lastname@example.org
maintained by email@example.com
Submitted: Sunday, October 28, 2012 - 3:00pm