JLab Occ Med Heat Safety Notice & Other Run-A-Round Reminders for May 17
Everyone planning to participate in or attend this afternoon's Run-A-Round event is advised by Jefferson Lab’s Occupational Medicine (Occ Med) staff to take special precautions because of the anticipated unusually high temperature.
Recommended precautions include:
- Hydrate with sports beverages and water (not energy drinks or caffeinated beverages) in the hour before and after the event. Hydration should be thorough enough to make your urine look like water.
- Competitive feelings are the enemy of safety. Ease off today. Talk yourself down from trying to break that record. Slow down, relax and enjoy this time with colleagues and family.
- If you have limited experience with running in heat, or haven’t been running recently, then don't do it. Walk!
- If you have a cardiovascular health condition, or other serious chronic health condition, don't run today.
- If you take a medication that carries a precaution about exercising, becoming overheated or avoiding dehydration, don't run.
- If you avoid running today because of these precautions, then use your best judgement when deciding whether to walk instead. If in doubt, don't. If you do walk, go slower than you normally would.
- Wear a hat to protect your head and face from the sun and put on sunscreen.
Occ Med staff will be in a golf cart "MASH unit" at the finish line (that's where most loss of consciousness occurs). Let people around you know if you start to feel out-of-sorts. Let Occ Med help you ASAP if you start to experience symptoms.
Other Run-A-Round Reminders:
Road Closures and Parking Guidance for Before and During the Event
The event begins in front of CEBAF Center at 3 p.m. with the debut of the 2017 Jefferson Lab T-shirt. The run/walk starts promptly at 3:15 p.m. The run covers a flat 1.5 miles course meandering through the campus. The course map is posted on the JAG website: http://www.jlab.org/intralab/committees/jag/.
Parking for the event will be in the main CEBAF Center lot – adjacent to Hadron Drive.
Anyone who needs to leave the lab between 3-4 p.m.: the parking lots of the EEL Bldg. (Bldg. 90), Test Lab (Bldg. 58) and TED (Bldg. 55) and the accelerator site will be the only lots accessible during the race. If you need to leave early, park in one of these lots no later than 2:45 p.m. and depart the lab via Rattley Road to Hogan Drive.
Parking for the Run-A-Round isn’t permitted on Hadron Drive or Rattley Road or in the Residence Facility parking lot.
Late Registration and Race Bib Pick up Underway until 2:30 p.m.
Pick up your race bibs or submit your late registration before 2:30 p.m. today in the CEBAF Center atrium. Individuals registering today will not be eligible for overall or age group awards. Staff and users may redeem their race bib at the T-shirt Distribution Tent to receive their free 2017 Jefferson Lab T-shirt.
Food, beverages, music and awards will follow the race on the Residence Facility field. Awards will go to the top three overall male and female finishers and top three male and female finishers in each age group.