JLab Prepares for 2018 Hurricane Season: June 1-Nov. 30
The National Weather Service has determined “Hurricane Season” to be June 1 through Nov. 30. The forecast for the 2018 Atlantic Basin Hurricane Season is for a total of 14 named storms, seven hurricanes and three major hurricanes. Jefferson Lab participates in observing this season by elevating its preparedness level to Hurricane Preparedness Condition 1 (HPC-1) on June 1.
The Emergency Management Team will inform the laboratory community if there is any reason to elevate the lab's preparedness level above this point. At this time make sure the lab is prepared to deal with hurricane weather.
- Review your emergency contact tree. Ensure your staff has the appropriate contact information and vice versa.
- Make sure you know who is assigned Hurricane Warden duty for the work area(s) under your authority.
- Discuss needs for the area(s) under your authority and ensure they are included on the Hurricane Warden’s checklist.
- If you have submitted an Emergency Shutdown and/or Re-Start Activity Schedule, please review and send any changes to the Emergency Manager. See https://jlabdoc.jlab.org/docushare/dsweb/View/Collection-16469
- Review your Hurricane Warden Checklist. See https://jlabdoc.jlab.org/docushare/dsweb/View/Collection-15960 and perform activities as required.
- Submit your HPC-1 report the Emergency Manager by June 1.
Everyone at Jefferson Lab:
Familiarize yourself with the Hurricane preparedness and response information posted to the Emergency Management webpage, and pay special attention to the following items, posted under Hurricane Information:
- Hurricane Preparedness Condition Program
- Hurricane Evacuation Flow Chart
- 2018 Hurricane Warden Member Listing
- National Hurricane Center
- Hurricane Information & Resource Guide
- Supervisor Hurricane Preparedness Condition Checklists
Requests for specific information or clarification may be sent to Jefferson Lab’s Emergency Manager, Tina Menefee, firstname.lastname@example.org or 768-4030.