JLab Staff, Users, Students, Guests Celebrate 25 Years of Science Tuesday, Sept. 29
All Jefferson Lab staff, users and students are invited to join invited guests on Tuesday, Sept. 29, to celebrate Jefferson Lab's 25th Anniversary. The event will take place in a large tent that has been set up on the south half of the main CEBAF Center parking lot. Everyone is asked to be in place by 11 a.m.
Energy Secretary Steven Chu will deliver the keynote address for the celebration. Also speaking at the event will be Berthold Schoch, a physicist from the University of Bonn, and Dirk Walecka, a physicist from The College of William and Mary.
Invited guests include political leaders and local dignitaries, DOE administrators and many of the individuals who helped found the lab.
Immediately following Secretary Chu's keynote address, a picnic-style buffet lunch will be served. Several serving lines will be set up to accommodate the anticipated turnout of about 850 people.
Event Parking, Traffic Flow, Picnic Lunch Menu, etc.
- The north end of the CEBAF Center parking lot (Lot B on map) is reserved all day Tuesday and through noon Wednesday for Invited Guests.
- During the ceremony on Tuesday, 11 a.m. - 12:30 p.m., the roads immediately to the south and east of CEBAF Center will be closed to all vehicle traffic, including golf carts. The only exceptions will be for late-arriving Invited Guests, the Occupational Medicine Golf Cart, a golf cart for Food Services/catering and emergency vehicles.
Parking for JLab staff, users and students will be available the day of the event in alternate parking lots. (Please see the attached map for alternate parking areas marked in yellow.) These areas include:
- the lot stretching between CEBAF Center, building 12, and the VARC, building 28
- the VARC parking lot (except for the small lot directly west of the VARC that is reserved for the TEDF Review)
- the lots adjacent to the ARC (Applied Research Center)
- behind the EEL, building 90
- behind and in front of the Test Lab, building 58
- and the lot adjacent to the Accelerator Site Entrance, Guard Post 2
- If these parking lots fill up Tuesday morning, overflow parking will be directed by JLab Security Officers to park in single-file, parallel fashion on the EAST side of Lawrence Drive. If this overflow parking is needed, a golf cart will be available from 8:30 to 9:30 a.m. to shuttle individuals between Lawrence Drive and campus buildings. Don't walk through the new connector road just west of CEBAF Center or through the tree line; this is a Construction Zone.
- During the event, golf carts may be parked on the basketball pad on the north side of CEBAF Center or behind the EEL (building 90). Please don't park golf carts behind CEBAF Center or in the CC Circle.
Lab staff, users and students attending the ceremony and luncheon are asked to arrive at the event tent by 11 a.m. Walking is preferable as parking space around the event will be filled. For individuals not wishing to walk from the Accelerator Site, a shuttle van will run between the MCC, building 85, and the event tent from 10:15 . 11 a.m. The event program is expected to run from 11:05 a.m. to 12:15 p.m.
Alternate and overflow parking will continue through the morning of Sept. 30. Parking should return to normal by Oct. 1.
Quark Cafe won't be open for lunch on Tuesday. Come to the event and enjoy lunch afterward under the tent. The menu will include fried chicken, pulled pork barbeque, coleslaw, baked beans, potato salad, cookies, iced tea, lemonade and bottled water.
The cafeteria will be open as usual for breakfast on Tuesday morning.
We look forward to seeing you there! And thank you for your attention to this information.
12000 Jefferson Ave., Suite 15
Newport News, VA 23606