Jefferson Lab conducts research 24 hours a day, seven days a week. Tours of the accelerator, experimental halls and Free-Electron Laser (FEL) are based upon availability of those areas. When the accelerator is shut down for maintenance, tours may be scheduled if they do not interfere with planned work.
Tours of the SRF Test Lab, the Machine Control Center, and windshield tours of the accelerator site are possible throughout the year.
All visitors taking a tour are required to carry photo ID, be 18 years or older, wear low-heeled, closed-toe shoes, long pants, and provide proof of citizenship.
International visitors to Jefferson Lab must carry their passports or visas with them.
Open House is the only time when visitors under 18 can tour the lab. Jefferson Lab typically offers an Open House for the general public every other year. During Open House, no registration of visitors is required. The next Open House is scheduled for 2016.
Please allow at least two weeks notification for a tour of Jefferson Lab. Minimum size for a scheduled tour is 5 people.
Schedule a Tour
Community and University Group Tours of Jefferson Lab
- All tours are organized or approved by the Public Affairs Office.
- All visitors are required to carry their photo ID, be 18 years or older, wear low-heeled, closed-toe shoes and provide proof of citizenship, when applicable.
- All visitors are required to arrive 15 minutes before the tour begins to allow time for ID checks.
- A minimum of five people are required for an organized tour. Once there is an agreed upon number of attendees in the group, any change in that number must be approved by Public Affairs, 24 hours in advance of the scheduled tour.
- Some facilities do not have elevators. Individuals taking a tour of the accelerator must be able to walk down and back up flights of stairs. Please view the additional tour safety awareness concerns.
- A tour of Jefferson Lab generally requires one to two hours to complete, depending on the areas to be toured.
- If the federal government national threat level should rise to orange or higher before your scheduled tour, please contact Public Affairs to make sure that the tour can still be conducted and/or to determine if there are additional security requirements.
Important Notice for JLab visitors who were born outside the United States:
U.S. Department of Energy headquarters' approval is required before any persons, not of U.S. citizenship, whose country of birth is Cuba, Iran, Sudan or Syria can enter DOE facilities, including Jefferson Lab. Visitors from these countries may not be on site or tour Jefferson Lab without first going through this formal approval process that requires appropriate justification. This process may take up to six (6) months. International visitors touring Jefferson Lab must carry their passports with them.
- To discuss the feasibility of a tour of Jefferson Lab, please contact Mike Robbins, Public Affairs Office. Tours are scheduled for Mondays through Fridays (except federal holidays) between the hours of 9 a.m. and 4 p.m.
General Public Open Tours
In addition to scheduled tours, Jefferson Lab offers open tours to the general public upon availability. These are one-hour tours that will consist of stops at the Machine Control Center, the SRF Test Lab, and a windshield tour. This tour does not include the accelerator tunnel or experimental halls. Up to 10 people can sign up per tour and must register in advanced. General public open tours are held on first and third Wednesday of each month unless otherwise not available. For available dates and times select from the drop down below or email email@example.com
School Group (K1-12) Visits
Education opportunities are available for school groups (K-12) through the Science Education Department, by appointment. Contact Telesha Brown.
Take a virtual tour of Jefferson Lab.