Equal Employment/Affirmative Action
Equal Employment Opportunity & Affirmative Action Policy Statement
It is the policy of the Jefferson Science Associates, LLC (JSA) and the Thomas Jefferson National Accelerator Facility (Jefferson Lab) to maintain a firm commitment to equal employment opportunity and affirmative action. To ensure that this commitment is carried out in practice, JSA/Jefferson Lab shall:
- Administer all personnel actions including, but not limited to, recruiting, hiring, training, compensating, providing benefits, recreational activities and facilities, transferring, promoting, laying off, recalling, approving professional and educational activities, and developing and interpreting policies without regard to race, color, religion, ethnicity, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, ancestry, age, disability or veteran status, or on any other basis prohibited by federal, state, or local law.
- Ensure the furtherance of the principles of equal employment opportunity by basing all personnel decisions, which affect employees or employment applicants, on only valid and necessary criteria.
- Provide a work environment that is free of harassment, intimidation, or coercion for all employees regardless of race, color, religion, ethnicity, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, ancestry, age, disability or veteran status, or on any other basis prohibited by federal, state, or local law.
- Strive, through outreach efforts, to overcome any identified underutilization of females, minorities, individuals with disabilities, and veterans.
- JSA (Jefferson Lab) is committed to providing reasonable accommodations for persons with disabilities (unless doing so will result in an undue hardship). Reasonable accommodations are considered on a case-by-case basis.
The Human Resources Director holds overall responsibility for monitoring all personnel actions within the organization for compliance with Equal Employment Opportunity and Affirmative Action policies and the Affirmative Action Plan. The Employment Manager is designated as the Equal Employment Opportunity/Affirmative Action Coordinator and is responsible for preparing the Affirmation Action Plan and coordinating actions designed to meet the goals and objectives of the Plan with Associate Directors/Department Heads, managers, and supervisors.
In order to ensure that the Equal Employment Opportunity and Affirmative Action policy is fully implemented within the spirit and in the interest of governing laws and regulations, we expect all Associate Directors/Department Heads, and management to: be familiar with, support fully, and assume responsibility for following these policies in all personnel actions; inform employees and applicants of Jefferson Lab's Equal Employment Opportunity Policy; and assist in the identification of problem areas and establishment of goals for increased minority, female, veteran, and individual with disability hiring, when these groups are found to be underutilized.
JSA/Jefferson Lab's policy on Equal Employment Opportunity and Affirmative Action is included in the Administrative Manual, available on the Jefferson Lab Intranet. Copies of the Affirmative Action Plans are available in Human Resources. We encourage all employees to become familiar with the contents of these documents and to participate actively in furthering the JSA/Jefferson Lab equal opportunity and affirmative action programs.