Record 18 teams prepare for Virginia Regional Middle School Science Bowl on March 10 at Jefferson Lab
Newport News, Va. -- The Department of Energy's Jefferson Lab, in Newport News, Va., hosts the Virginia Regional Middle School Science Bowl on Saturday, March 10, with a record 18 teams competing.
This is the largest turnout we've had for the Middle School Science Bowl in the four years we have hosted it at Jefferson Lab, according to Jan Tyler, JLab's Science Education program manager and Science Bowl coordinator.
"The Science Bowl is an annual, highly visible academic competition among teams of students," Tyler explains. "These events champion an interest in science and math across the nation. We're always excited to host them because they are a great way to promote education, academic excellence and an interest in math and science. The young people participating in these events may well become tomorrow's scientists, mathematicians, inventors, doctors and problem solvers. And, competing with their peers is a great confidence builder and a fantastic way to motivate young minds."
The Peasley Middle School team from Gloucester, coached by teacher Ray Yoh, finished in first place last year and advanced to the Middle School Science Bowl Nationals in Denver, Colo., last summer.
The public is invited to attend the semi-final and final rounds of the March 10 competition, which will run from 1:30-4:30 p.m. in Jefferson Lab's CEBAF Center auditorium located at 12000 Jefferson Ave., Newport News, Va. Enter at Jefferson Lab's main entrance (Onnes Dr.). Everyone 16 and older is asked to carry a photo I.D.; security guards may perform parcel and vehicle inspections.
The top three teams will earn cash prizes for their respective schools, and the top team wins a trip to the Middle School Science Bowl Nationals held in Golden, Colo., this June.
- Broadwater Academy, Exmore
- Chancellor Middle School, Fredericksburg
- Flora D. Crittenden Middle School, Newport News
- Gildersleeve Middle School, Newport News
- Grafton Middle School, Yorktown
- Great Bridge Middle School, Chesapeake
- James Blair Middle School - Team A, Williamsburg
- James Blair Middle School - Team B, Williamsburg
- Longfellow Middle School, Falls Church
- Northampton Middle School, Machipongo
- Peasley Middle School, Gloucester
- Rodney Thompson Middle School, Stafford
- Smithfield Middle School - Team A, Smithfield
- Smithfield Middle School - Team B, Smithfield
- St. Gregory the Great Catholic School, Virginia Beach
- St. Pius X School, Norfolk
- Star of the Sea Regional Catholic School, Virginia Beach
- Wallace Middle School, Bristol
Jefferson Science Associates, LLC, a joint venture of the Southeastern Universities Research Association, Inc. and PAE, manages and operates the Thomas Jefferson National Accelerator Facility, or Jefferson Lab, for the U.S. Department of Energy's Office of Science.
DOE’s Office of Science is the single largest supporter of basic research in the physical sciences in the United States and is working to address some of the most pressing challenges of our time. For more information, visit https://energy.gov/science.