Radiation worker I (RW-I) Training
The Radiation Worker I (RW-I) qualification is required for personnel whose activities require them to routinely enter Radiologically Controlled Areas (RCAs). Group Leaders and supervisors please note: You should NOT require people in your group to obtain RWI qualification simply because they "might" have to enter an RCA. You should make this a requirement only for people who are likely to need access to these areas on a routine basis. You should avoid establishing group policies requiring RWI training, unless it is clear that all personnel in the group require this qualification.
All Radiation Worker I/II tests and practicals are by appointment only - no walk-ins. Radiation Worker I/II tests are offered on Mondays, Tuesdays and Thursdays with appointments from 9am until 12:00 pm. Radiation Worker practicals are offered on Mondays, Tuesdays, and Thursdays at 2pm and are also available by appointment only. Both the tests and practicals are held in our office (ESH Division, Bldg. 52).
NEW RADIATION CONTROL DEPARTMENT BOOKING SYSTEM LINK
Please let us know if you have any questions/comments/concerns by emailing us at firstname.lastname@example.org
Steps for full RWI training:
- Take the RWI course - SAF801C. View it from here: https://www.jlab.org/human_resources/training/webbasedtraining
- Read and sign the General Access RWP - SAF801kd. View it from here: https://www.jlab.org/human_resources/training/webbasedtraining
- Request a dosimeter. Please use the link below for this request. On-line Dosimeter Request Form
- Use our booking tool when you are ready to take the RWI test. Employees/subcontractors may take their test in our office in Building 52. Users can choose ULO or Radcon. BOOK HERE: https://outlook.office365.com/owa/calendar/JeffersonLabRadConElectronicTest@jeffersonlab.onmicrosoft.com/bookings/
- USERS can take the RWI training in either the User Liasion Office (Bldg. 12) or with RadCon (Bldg. 52). If you want to take your training with ULO, you should email the ULO for details on their schedule. Their email is: email@example.com
- If you want to take your test with Radcon, please use our booking tool: https://outlook.office365.com/owa/calendar/JeffersonLabRadConElectronicTest@jeffersonlab.onmicrosoft.com/booking
- Use our booking tool when you are ready to make an appointment to take the RWI practical. All practicals are handled in Building 52 by RadCon staff. You must have taken the RWI TEST before sitting for the practical. BOOK HERE: https://outlook.office365.com/owa/calendar/JeffersonLabRadConElectronicTest@jeffersonlab.onmicrosoft.com/bookings/
NEW MINIMUM RADCON PASSING SCORE
The Radiation Control Department has streamlined the radiation worker online training, printed version study materials and proctored examination materials. The lab has maintained a minimum passing score of 75% for Radiation Worker examinations for the past 20 years. In Jan. 2020, the lab will align our radiological testing requirements with other DOE facilities to increase the minimum passing score on all Radiation Control department examinations to 80%.
In preparation for the increase in minimum score, the RCD has reviewed all test questions and has updated them for consistency with the new study guide and applicability to required worker knowledge. If you have any questions regarding this new policy, please contact Adam Stavola at x6806.
You must have SAF801C before you can take SAF801T (RWI Test). View SAF801C by clicking on the green box (can be viewed offsite with any device with wifi, i.e., cell phone, tablet or computer).
Supplemental guide. This is a SUPPLEMENT ONLY. You must have SAF801C before taking the RWI test (for initial qualification). All others should review the material before taking the RWI test. Study material and test have been updated within the last 2 years. Make sure you are reviewing the most up-to-date material (do not rely on old handouts). Click below to download the newest version.
If you have any questions regarding this training, please contact Adam Stavola at 757-269-6806.
The Radiation Worker I classroom session is offered on as as-needed basis, with a minimum of 5 students. Please send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org. The exam and practical factors exercise will be scheduled at a later day/time. See instructor for details.