(left) R. Roy Whitney, 1984. (credit: CEBAF)
(center) JLAB Staff photo of R. Roy Whitney. (credit: Jefferson Lab)
(right) R. Roy Whitney with JLAB director Hugh Montgomery during Whitney's retirement ceremony, August 2014. (credit: Jefferson Lab)
Table of Contents
|Repository:||Thomas Jefferson National Accelerator Facility|
|Jefferson Lab Archives|
|12000 Jefferson Ave., Room L203A|
|Newport News, VA 23606|
|Phone: (757) 269-7805|
|Fax: (757) 269-5427|
|Creator:||R. Roy Whitney|
|Title:||The R. Roy Whitney Papers|
|Size:||Physical: 4 Hollinger Document boxes, one drafting tube, one oversize box; 9.71 linear feet
Digital: 3,233 files; 6.3 gigabytes
|Materials in collection:||Correspondences, various meeting minutes from various boards and organizations, blueprints and maps, construction hardhat|
|Abstract:||Dr. R. Roy Whitney was with Jefferson Lab since the very early days. His collection is comprised of information gathered in his various capacities, as well as professional experimentation at other facilities.|
|Location:||The digital collection is located in the Jefferson Lab Document Management System. Non-digital items are located in the Jefferson Lab Archives.|
Prior to joining the Lab in 1984, Dr. Whitney received his BA from the University of Oregon Honors College, and his PhD from Stanford University. He taught physics and conducted research at the University of Massachusetts-Amherst, Smith College, Springfield Technical Community College and the University of Virginia. Dr. Whitney has 40-years experience at accelerator facilities, including Stanford University's High Energy Physics Lab, Berkeley Lab, Los Alamos-LAMPF, MIT-Bates, and Saclay in France.
Dr. Whitney is presently CEO and President at BNNT, LLC., a Newport News startup company.
Aside from the main body of the physical papers, this collection also has a large element in the digital archives.
There are nine series within the collection.
Series I: Office of the Chief Information Officer. This series contains information from various boards, including the Director's Council, Business Mangers, Lab operations Board, and others.
Series II: Computer Center. Having worked on the Energy Sciences Steering Committee for the Energy Sciences Network (ESNet) there are notes from meetings within this series. There are also meetings pertaining to the subseries listed.
- Subseries A: Energy Sciences Network
- Subseries B: Security
- Sub-subseries i: System of Labs Computing Coordinating Committee (SLCCC), which was the predecessor to the National Laboratories Chief Information Officers, or NLCIO
- Sub-subseries ii: Computer Center Advisory Committee (CCAC)
- Subseries C: Meetings/Various
- Subseries D: Scientific Simulation Initiative (SSI)
Series III: Correspondence. Arranged by decade, this series is composed of various correspondences between Dr. Whitney and others. Occasionally there are correspondences that included Dr. Whitney as a carbon copy (cc: )
Series IV: Publications/Publication Work. Notes and drafts as Dr. Whitney was working on or proofing papers.
Series V: User's Group. The User's Group exists to foster the use of CEBAF for scientists and engineers and to act as a liaison for the users and the Jefferson Lab Staff. This series is comprised of subseries which address the various boards upon which Dr. Whitney sat upon during his tenure at Jefferson Lab.
- Subseries A: Board of Directors
- Subseries B: Executive Committee
- Subseries C: Miscellany
Series VI: Conferences/Presentations/Workshops. This series contains the notes and presentations from many of the talks that Dr. Whitney attended or presented.
Series VII: Reviews/Reports.
Series VIII: Experiments. Experiments in which Dr. Whitney was involved; contains notes and edits for publications .
Series IX: Miscellany. Various other notes and information pertaining to various Lab goings-on.
Sections of this collection are restricted. Permission to access some information is not a blanket consent to access all information. For access to this collection and its restricted content, as well as questions pertaining to this collection, please contact the Jefferson Lab Librarian/Archivist for access information. Non-restricted records are available to researchers without prior approval requirements.
- The collection may be used solely for noncommercial, educational, and research purposes by researchers and historians. Please contact the Jefferson Lab Records Management Office if you would like to use the collection.
- Jefferson Lab is providing access to the materials in the Archives collections solely for noncommercial educational and research purposes. The unauthorized use, including, but not limited to, publication of the materials without the prior written permission of Jefferson Lab, is strictly prohibited. All inquiries regarding permission to publish should be submitted in writing to the Archivist. In addition to consent from Jefferson Lab, permission of the copyright owner (if not Jefferson Lab) and/or any holder of other rights (such as publicity and/or privacy rights) may also be required for reproduction, publication, distribution, and other uses. Responsibility for making an independent legal assessment of any item and securing any necessary permissions rests with the persons desiring to publish the item. Jefferson Lab makes no warranty or guarantee as to the accuracy of the materials or their fitness for a particular purpose.
12 GeV Upgrade
Applied Research Center (ARC) (Collection #JL.017)
Computer Applications in Nuclear and Plasma Sciences (CANPS)
Continuous Electron Beam Accelerator Facility (CEBAF)
Department of Energy (Collection #JL.013, Site Office)
Energy Sciences Network (ESnet)
Energy Sciences Steering Committee (ESSC)
Florida State University
Free-Electron Laser (FEL) (Collection #JL.001-1)
Hall C (Collection #JL.014-3)
Laser Processing Consortium
Management Information Systems (MIS)
MIT Bates Research and Engineering Center
National Laboratories Chief Information Officers (NLCIO)
Oak Ridge Operations Office
Scientific Simulation Initiative (SSI)
Southeastern Universities Research Association (SURA)
System of Labs' Computing Coordinating Committee (SLCCC)
User's Group (Collection # JL.019)
[Identification of Item], Box [insert number], Folder [insert number and title], The Papers of R. Roy Whitney, Jefferson Lab Archives, Thomas Jefferson National Accelerator Facility, 12000 Jefferson Ave., Ste. L203A, Newport News, VA, 23606
This collection was acquired from various sources including the Office of the CIO, Publications Office, and Library.
This collection was processed by Melissa Erlandson in November, 2018.
This collection was supported in part by a grant from the History Programs, American Institute of Physics.